Friday, December 14, 2007

Best Laid Plans Trumped by TLC

Today I had every intention of skipping out of work a little early... going to get my nails done, do a little Christmas shopping, get some groceries... you know. Have a little "me" time before picking up the boys. So much to do, and so little time to do it in ~ and all that. Well, the best laid plans were somewhat "ruined" when the school nurse called me about 10:45 to tell me that Nicholas, my oldest, had a tummy-ache and wanted to come home. No problem. "Me" time can wait; my little boy needed me. It took me a little longer than I would have liked to get things wrapped up at work, so I had Paul's Dad pick Nicholas up and bring him home.

So, about 11:45 I walked in the door and Nicholas comes running up to me and wraps his arms around me; so happy to see me. I smiled down at him and said, "You don't look sick". He gave me this little sly smile he has and I knew the jig was up. Then I remembered when I was in second grade. I would cry and cry with a tummy-ache until my Grandmother would come pick me up. My Grandmother later told me that the nurse would just look at her and say, "She just needs a little TLC". That, I realized, was exactly what was going on with Nicholas today.

Knowing that the little one in question was, for the most part, okay, we ventured out to the grocery store. Just the two of us. We talked and laughed. On the way home he put his little hand on mine and said, "Mommy. I sure enjoyed spending the day with you." I can't have imagined a better way to spend the afternoon myself. Though I know he really should have been in school taking his spelling test and going to the library.... I think everyone is entitled to a TLC day every now and again.

We bought "The Fantastic Four and the Rise of the Silver Surfer" at the store, and have since watched it twice. Unfortunately the little guy did break out with a fever earlier, but a little Motrin and he was all good again. What a great day.

So, if you get the chance to share a TLC day with your kid... just do it.

More soon~ A

No comments: