Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm Not as Nice As I Thought I Was

Last night Paul and I took a night out and ventured up to see "Evanescence" in concert. I'm a nut for their music. It's deep and dark and really inspires me... in a good way! I love the purity of Amy Lee's voice along with the crispness of the piano against the heaviness of the guitars and drums. I knew, when we went, that we'd be in the minority and be some of the oldest people there. I was right. Lots of teenagers- and lots of teens with their parents. I liked seeing that. I hope when my kids get to be teens they'll still want me around enough to go do things like that with them. It had been so long since we went to a concert that I actually forgot their would be opening bands. The first band to come out was just awful. They were called "Julien K". It was a mix of Human League meets Adam Ant on some kind of bad acid trip from the 80's... in heavy metal (I know, right...). Really bad. Then, "Sick Puppies" took the stage. I have to say, they weren't bad. But, the lead singer had such a terrible mouth! Every other word was "F..K" this and that... with the audiance being primarily teens... yes. I was definately offended. Then, Paul and I smelled something funny... at a heavy metal concert....no...NACHOS!! We laughed so hard. Since when do you go to a hard rock concert and smell nachos!!

But then, the most awful thing happened. A couple walked in carrying a little girl who couldn't have been more than a year old. No headphones or earcovers.... it was litterally sickening. Who would do that! First of all, it was about 9pm... and secondly, the noise was sooo loud! Luckally, there was an intermission soon thereafter, and I didn't see them return. I was fuming. I just wanted to take that child away from them and say "No. You lost your parental rights". I know I shouldn't judge... but I am anyway. Who, pray tell, would DO that?

The rest of the concert I kept thinking of that little girl. It was hard to focus on the music. But, overall, I did have a good time. I loved hearing Amy Lee sing in person. She was a million times better than she is on TV. I even got teary a couple times... her voice was so powerful. I fully reccamend seeing them if you get the chance... but go late so you'll miss the opening acts.

Happy Halloween!!!

Amanda

No comments: