Saturday, April 7, 2007

Hazy Shade of Winter?!?

It's just after 1p on Easter Eve, and I'm having a hard time believing what I'm seeing today. I took the boys to an Easter egg hunt at Paula's church.. and it SNOWED on us the whole time! SNOW! In TEXAS! On April 7th! It is truly a strange phenominon. It'll make for some interesting scrapbook pages, though.

Last night we had a wonderful time at our faithful new home- The Scrapbook Pad. I was excited to see two new computers in the corner. And, they told us that they'll be receiving their big Noritsu printer in a few weeks, so we'll be able to print out our pages there. Life is good. They also had so many pretty new things I could hardly take everything in. And, best of all--- they had "Digi-Scrappin' 101"!!! Yay! Whahooooo! Yep, that felt good to see that there.

But, something else happened that I have to wonder about. A woman who I won't identify asked one of the employees if "those girls with computers" would be allowed to crop on National Scrapbook Day. I have to wonder why that would be a problem! I know that digital scrapbooking is a fairly new phenominon, and that it is, for the most part, just being embraced. But, why discriminate against us? We come in and crop just like everyone else. We spend money... just on different things. Last night I bought a book and a new album. Paula spent about $30. I know Cindy spent about that too. I spent over $50. So, what's the big deal? Heaven forbid we may teach the traditional scrappers a thing or two. Our pages are just as pretty as theirs. And, if the store had a bunch of kits on discs- I would buy them! Heaven knows I buy enough from the digital sites...why would the store be any different? Do those ladies think that "those girls with computers" don't have feelings? Are we not Mothers, Wives, Daughters, Sisters and Friends, just like they are? It's a different form of discrimination. It's hypocritical, especially when those same women santer up beside us and ask us how we do what we're doing. And, we are glad to answer. We are glad to help. We are happy to be there and to be a part of the environment. But, don't ask for our help and then ask that we be excluded. It's not fair.

So, that's my rant for today. Sorry if I offended anyone....

~Amanda

2 comments:

Heather said...

Seriously winter weather in March is SO not cool in Texas. Well, literally it is, but in my mind it's not fair or right. I moved to Texas so that I could avoid it (amoung other things of course). It had better be absolutely lovely this weekend or Mr. Weatherman and I are going to have a throwdown. :)

Paula Phillips said...

You are so funny - the people who would be offended probably aren't going to be checking your blog on the dreaded computer.
Love ya,
Paula