Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Blog About Nothing...a lot of it...

Sometimes in my bed at night I have trouble sleeping. So, I lie there thinking of what I will blog about the next day. I know, that's strange and silly and shows that I probably have no life...but there it is. Sometimes I think of some really cool things. But, since I don't write them down, the really cool thoughts are often gone by morning. Don't know why that's of any relevance, but I had to share. Maybe I should start keeping a notepad on the bedside table to give you guys something a little more juicy to read.

I also realized this morning that my days are a little backward. Let me explain. Twice this week Paula and I have gotten out to run errands, once with kids in tow and once without. It's so great to have her closeby so we can do these things together. However, as some of you know, I really like my sleep. Often times I drop Nicholas off at school and come home where Ben and I retreat for our morning "snuggle time". I'll make him breakfast and stay up long enough to check Email and make sure there's nothing pressing for me to take care of. Then, around 8am he and I retreat for the big soft snuggly bed where I have amazingly high thread counted sheets. We turn on something like Sprout or Noggin, get warm and cozy, and I drift on and off to dreamland until about 10am. Then, on any average day I get up, take a shower, put on make-up and make myself presentable to the world. He and I, after that, spend our day together in the house, where I've gotten all made up for nobody but the kids and my husband, who will be home much, much later in the day or evening. Then, ironically, there are those days when at 10am, Paula shows up to pick me up for errands. These, oddly enough, are the days when I litterally throw on something that's not too wrinkled, brush the hair and throw it into a clip, brush my teeth, wash my face and call it good. Ironically, the days I look my worst are the days I go out into public for all to see. What is wrong with me!

What strikes me funny about all that is this... when I was younger (say, a teenager until about last year- age 30) I refused to go anywhere until I was completely ready. That meant hair done, makeup on, lips pink or red, clean and pressed, ready to show the world. Heck, I wouldn't even stay home and clean house until I atleast looked cute enough on the off chance that someone of importance (meaning anyone) would knock on the door while I was home. I had to look my best all the time. It drove my mother crazy! So much so that, when I was 18, we went to DisneyWorld. While we were there she didn't allow me to wear make-up at all. So, now we have these horrible pictures of white, pastey Amanda on all the rides- hair slicked back with stark white skin and freckles to boot. I was mortified! But, now, that's really how most of the world sees me during the week. Once again, I don't know what relevance that holds except to tell those of you that have seen me on these trussled days, that I do actually know how to make myself look nice- and NOT be a perfect canditate for the What Not To Wear show. Maybe I should work on fixing that....

All that aside... I have to say a hefty hearty THANK YOU to the gals at The Scrapbook Pad! I got their Email newsletter today, and there I was, all in it! I'm so excited to come do the book signing for you! That makes me a happy girl. I just hope somebody shows up for it! And, I do promise to put on make-up that day!!!

Hugs, kisses, smiles.... Amanda

4 comments:

Heather said...

Ummm I suppose I should promise to put on some make up too. :)

I'm so lazy in that department. For years, like you, I wouldn't leave the house without it on. Nowadays, I go to work without it on - regularly! What's wrong with me???

Amanda Dykan said...

You're so cute and beautiful you don't need it!

Hugs,
Amanda D

Paula Phillips said...

You are so silly! But you know that come this summer, you'll be having more of those "here comes Paula knocking on your door at 10AM" days because you know the kids will be wanting to play -so get those days and nights straightened out - hehe!!!

Amanda Dykan said...

AWWWWWWW MAN!!!!!! lol... I love it! I can't wait!