Wednesday, November 7, 2007

It's Funny

It's funny how little things will just so often raise you up and put a little glitter in your step for the day. This probably sounds funny- considering the source- but something happened yesterday that just made me want to smile and keep on smiling. About a month ago I received an Email from a paper company (who shall remain nameless), whom I just love. They were looking for Design Team members. Well, since I am "all digital" now, I took it all in stride. After all, they are a traditional paper company. I replied to the note and basically said, "Hey, if you want a digital guinea pig then I'm your girl". I entered the contest as anyone else would and posted a link to my galleries... all the while emphasizing that I am "digital". Honestly, I didn't expect to hear anything back~ and kind of forgot about the whole thing. Then, yesterday, out of the blue, I got another note from them saying that I made the finals! I have to submit two more layouts and then an altered art project that I've done. The whole thing just blew me away, and really made my day!

I guess the irony in that is because I do have a line of published books. Being published shouldn't be that big of a deal to me anymore. And, don't get me wrong, I never want to slight what it is that I do for Design Originals, or what they've done for me. But, the fact of the matter is, I have a book deal with them. They kind of have to publish me now, know what I mean? I've never won a contest with my work. I've had cards published before in Paper Trends magazine, but I have never received any kind of recognition for my digital work. To even make the finals in a DT contest for a traditional paper company with all digital layouts was really a big deal to me.

I whipped up this layout last night to enter as one of my last submissions.

I still have two more to do, so we'll see how it goes. If I don't make it, I don't make it, and that's okay. But, I do have to say that it's really cool to get recognized.

Also, yesterday afternoon I was browsing DST and saw a post in the designer forum for no reason other than someone made a call out to a girl to tell her that her avatar picture looked great. It seems like lately there is so much negativity swirling around amidst the forums and boards that it was really great to see all this positivity. So, this is my challenge to anyone reading this. Simply~ pay it forward. Do something nice and random for someone else and see how it makes you feel. Hopefully they'll pass it on, and the world can be a better place for just a little while.

Have a great day, everyone~~ Amanda

No comments: