Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Aspirations

I've always wanted to write. In the sixth grade I had a notebook I carried all the time. The notebook contained the most intricate fairy tale anyone could have imagined. One notebook turned into five, and I still never finished it. There came a point when I just gave up and started a new project. In middle school I met my friend Jennifer. We carried a notebook between us, where we sent notes to one another and miscelanious ramblings of the time. What I wouldn't give to have those now. In the eighth grade I entered a poetry contest. I wrote a morbid poem about a sad little girl... and came in third place in the nation! I had actually pretty much forgotten about the contest until this morning. But, through Classmates.com, I got in touch with my Eighth grade english teacher, who kindly reminded me of it.

So, in high school I joined the journalism team and wrote for the school paper. I took an internship at The Charlotte Observer and worked in the entertainment magazine department. All the while, holding on to that dream of writing the great novel. Needless to say, that hasn't happened. I've always had a creative mind. That's what most of the adolescent trouble I got into was about. I was too creative for my own good. When it was easier to tell the truth, I would just as well tell some extravagent story- no matter how far-fetched it was. So, yes, I spent a lot of my high school years in trouble of my own accord.

Today, not really much has changed when I think of it. I am still contriving all these crazy stories in my head. But now, they go tucked into the back of my mind until one day I have the time to write them down and give J.K. Rowling a run for her money. Until then, I'll express that creative outlet through graphic design as best I can... and hopefully not forget what it is my children are bound to inherit. Today I'm not a fan of poetry unless it's in the form of song. I don't read much~ because there simply isn't time. But, those written aspirations are still there, and I'm still young. It's never too late, right?

More soon~ A

1 comment:

Paula Phillips said...

It's no wonder you can write all those elaborate stories about people you don't know - hehe! Seriously - don't give up on dreams. It's never too late and opportunities open up when you least expect it. Be thankful and proud for who you are - creative looks good on you!!!

Love ya - Paula