Thursday, July 12, 2007

Summer Nights

Vacation is a masterful, amazing thing. Let me paint you a picture. It's close to midnight here in the serene little town of Clover, South Carolina. For miles all I hear is the creaking of crickets, the painful bellow of the occasional whipperwill, and the gentle "plop" of the frogs on the pavement a few feet away from where I sit. I'm out of the back porch of my parents "home on the ranch". It's a gorgeous beach house nestled in the backwoods of South Carolina. Everyone's in bed but me... well, me and "JC", the cat. "J.C.", by the way, stands for "just cat". "J.C." has been around for 4 years, but nobody every got around to naming her, so she's "J.C.". It's really funny to hear it told. She doesn't seem to mind. She skulks around the fields and chases bugs and frogs like she's in kitty cat heaven. I suppose she is.

The summer nights are kind down here. No humidity. Lower 70's. Driving home from dinner we litterally watched the thermastat drop from 91 to 75 (in 30 minutes!). It's a blissfull evening, and I'm definately not taking it for granted.

The kids are tucked nicely in their bed upstairs. I can see the light on in the window from where I am. At 7 and 5 they are big and brave until it comes to nighttime. Then they MUST have the light on for fear of the boogie-man. Mom and Dad have pooped out too...leaving J.C. and I here to take in the evening alone. I have a clear shot of Venus overhead. It's nearly as bright as the moon.

So, yes. The answer is yes. After all the craziness of getting the site up, and getting the book edits done (granted- they were a lot less painful than I thought they would be)...even though the site is still not REALLY done, I am, none-the-less...taking my vacation. I am breathing in every moment. I am taking time to stop and do nothing. Time to watch the kids chase lightning bugs and listen to tales that I've heard dozens of times.... time to breathe and sleep a little longer. Time to sit and drink sweet tea on the back porch and watch as nothing happens out here in the sticks. Nothing could be better. Well....one thing is missing. Paul is still at home working.... Had he come with us all would be complete.

Next week will bring all the craziness of CHA, and the reality of the day-to-day will set back in. But for now, before Kindergarten and Second Grade begin... we are taking the time to enjoy our Southern Comfort in the home of Nana and Grand-daddy.

More later... A

1 comment:

Cre8tvlyyrsGina said...

Wow!! Sounds lovely!! Glad your enjoying your vacation! You deserve it!